Welcome the knowledge

Search This Blog

Sunday, June 3, 2012

To or For?

Good Morning everybody!

I have been asked for all my students, by the way, "for all my students or to all my student"?

Well, they have asked me - what is correct "to" or "for"?

Therefore, find below a simple explanation with some examples:

· TO is used with verbs in the infinitive

(e.g. the verb "to be").

· It is also used in cases where a "transfer" happens.

Ex. I will give this book to you. (from me to you)

I will go to work. (from home to work)

I will talk to her. (information goes from me to her)

· FOR is used in the following situations:

- for the benefit of

Ex. I will do that for you.

- purpose

Ex. This brush is for painting.

Here is an example with both:

Give this book to him but it is for his father.

Another:

I will speak to her for you.

Provavelmente, você esteja se perguntando o porquê isso é tão difícil. Quando se trata de preposição em inglês, o assunto exige dedicação nos estudos e muita prática. A dica que fica é: seja um bom observador. Sempre que tiver que usar uma dessas palavras, é muito importante prestar atenção as palavras que estão perto delas, isso é analise o contexto.

Segue algumas expressões que devem ser memorizadas:

  • be nice to someone (ser gentil com alguém)

  • explain something to someone (explicar algo para alguém)

  • carry something for someone (carregar algo para alguém)

  • be responsible for something (ser responsável por algo)

Cheers,

Nevton


No comments:

Post a Comment